History

District Ganderbal is located between 34.23° N Longitude and 74.78° E Latitude on the North of District Srinagar from which it was carved out and given the status of District on Ist April 2007 .It mostly stretches from south – west to North-east with a length of 125 kms and this stretch has a width of around 10-20 kms at an elevation of 1650 to 3000 meters above the Mean Sea Level (MSL). Nearly 70% area of the District is hilly and semi-hilly. Some areas remain inaccessible for quite some time during winter.

The Ganderbal town is the district headquarter and has derived its name from a famous spring Ganderbhavan. With the passage of time the name got changed into Ganderbal from Gander bhavan, now recognized name and used officially. In the olden days the territory of Ganderbal has acted as gate way to the central Asia by constituting one of the most important station of the erstwhile silk-route

 In addition Islamic influence on Kashmir found its way through Sindh valley. Hazrat Shahi Hamdan, Rinchan Shah the first ruler of Kashmir and Mirza Hyder Daughlat have entered Kashmir through Ganderbal popularly known as Sindh valley those days because river Sindh traverses course of about 100 kms through the district with a basin exceeding 1556 kms. The district covers the entire water shed of the river so the Sindh valley and the District has become synonymous.

District Ganderbal holds some of the scared pilgrimage sites like the Holy Amarnath cave, the serene spring of Kherbhawani. With the presence of tourist resort Sonamarg and Mansbal lake on its fringes, Qamar Sahib and Baba Hyder(RA) Tullamula in its lap and Sindh stream adding its charm and famousness, can contribute to the emergence of this area both as recreational and pilgrim oriented. An easy approach to the  Amarnathji cave has made the District World renowned.